Our Church Ministries
At Providence United Methodist we love children! At every worship service the pastor gets down on the floor for an often adventuresome interactive time with children. Our ministries with children include:
- Children’s Church activities on Sunday morning after the Children’s Message
- Sunday School classes for children of all age
- Special events including: Easter egg hunts, vacation bible school in the summer, summer camp and westview-on-the-James in Goochland County, Hanging the Greens before Christmas, Blessing of the Beasts in the fall (bring your pets to church),
Our youth program engages Middle High and High School – age youth as they ask the hard questions about the meaning of life, relationships, and where to find the best milkshakes. Join us for the following:
- 10:00 Sunday School, making use of youth-oriented curriculum to dive deep into the Scriptures and into life
- 6:00 pm Youth Groups, which alternate between times to learn, to serve, and to play
- Overnight and weekend-long retreats, giving the opportunity to get to know friends, strangers, God, and yourself better
- Service projects in the church and the community
- Mission trips to help feed the hungry, care for God’s children, and deepen your walk with God
Seniors and Elderberries
Elderberries is our very active group for seasoned citizens. It usually meets on the second Tuesday of every month, sometimes at church but often “on the road” to a historical/educational site, to a restaurant, for some recreation – but always to have great fun and fellowship. Our ministry with Seniors celebrates aging as a time for growth, for deep friendships, for great fun, and for richness in faith.
One of the newest and most exciting ministries in our church is our drama ministry, which invites thespians of all ages, abilities, and musical skills to present plays during worship or for special occasions. If you’ve always wanted to be in the spotlight, just ask us how to get involved!
Keeping our heads above water even in the best of economies can be difficult. We have trained counselors available to work with you, free of charge, to help you get your finances under Godly control, using sound Biblical principles. If you’d like some solid and completely confidential help, talk to the pastor.
Prayer Shawls and Prayer Ministry
We have a dedicated group of women (men are welcome, too!) who prayerfully prepare blankets for newborns and shawls for the sick. Several times every year, new blankets and shawls are laid on the chancel rail during worship, and the pastor and church members lay hands on them in prayer and blessing. These items are then distributed to members and non-members as needed, literally throughout the country. This is a powerful ministry of hope and healing for the makers and for the recipients. New knitters are always welcome.
Every Sunday morning during the 8:30 worship service, a small group of prayer warriors gathers in the church parlor to pray for our church, for our staff, and for the needs of the community and world. Prayer cards in the pews are collected in the offering plates every Sunday, and are prayed over by the staff every week and by the prayer team on Sundays. If you feel called to the ministry of prayer, ask us how you can become involved
Providence Church loves God’s Word, and gathers around it in a variety of settings, such as…
- 10:00 a.m. Sunday School for all ages. In addition to classes for children and youth, there are four adult classes. There’s a place for you on Sunday morning!
- Disciple Bible Study is a 32 to 34 week intensive grounding in the Bible. Participants meet weekly for 2 hours as a group, reviewing the past week’s reading. A workbook guides members 6 days every week in prayer, reading, and reflection. Classes begin every September.
- Wednesday morning Bible Study led by the pastor takes place from 10 to 11 except in the summer. We study books of the Bible or seasonal themes (Christmas, Easter). This is a great time for adults to learn and fellowship.
- Sunday evening studies take place in the weeks leading up to Christmas and Easter. Usually led by the pastor, these are opportunities to focus on specific themes in our faith.
- Other special classes take place throughout the week as needs and interests arise. Want to know more about a special topic? Tell us!