What we believe
We are members of the United Methodist denomination, which was founded as a spiritual renewal group by John Wesley, a priest in the Church of England in the 1700s. Following the American Revolution, Methodists were one of the first Christian denominations to organize in the new republic.
United Methodists are mainstream Christians who believe in the central authority of Scripture, in the divinity and saving work of Jesus Christ, and in the power of the Holy Spirit. We believe in two sacraments, Baptism and Holy Communion, and we baptize infants because we believe God’s saving grace is available to all persons. We believe that inner faith is confirmed by outward works, and that God created the Church to proclaim and follow Christ, our Lord.
The Providence church family has been around for centuries – there are records from 1785 of Methodist leaders preaching at Chickahominy Church, as it was once known. That church was followed by a Log Chapel, which sat across New Kent Highway from our present building. Later, a series of buildings were erected on the corner of New Kent Highway and Old Roxbury Road, culminating in the 1938 construction of our present sanctuary.
Providence was originally part of the Williamsburg Circuit, where many congregations were served by a single, traveling preacher. In 1985, Providence United Methodist Church became a station church, which means it is one church with one preacher.
The 1938 building has been expanded a few times since, with the Fellowship Hall section added in the 1990s. Most recently, in 2009, the education building was erected. The church also owns and maintains a parsonage in the Five Lakes subdivision and property adjacent to the main site on New Kent Highway.
Since that time the church has added staff, in addition to the pastor — a Secretary, a Minister of Programs, a Minister of Music, and an Accompanist.